Joint Statement by the Foreign Ministers of the Islamic Republic of Iran, the Russian Federation and
the Republic of Turkey on agreed steps to revitalize the political process to end the Syrian conflict, Moscow, 20
The Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran, the Russian Federation and the Republic of Turkey,
meeting in Moscow on 20 December 2016, agreed on the following.
1. Iran, Russia and Turkey reiterate their full respect for sovereignty, independence, unity and territorial
integrity of the Syrian Arab Republic as multi-ethnic, multi-religious, non-sectarian, democratic and secular
2. Iran, Russia and Turkey are convinced that there is no military solution to the Syrian conflict. They recognize
the essential role of the United Nations in the efforts to resolve this crisis in accordance with UNSC resolution 2254.
The Ministers also take note of the decisions of the International Syria Support Croup (ISSG). They urge all members of
the international community to cooperate in good faith in order to remove the obstacles on the way to implement the
agreements contained in these documents.
3. Iran, Russia and Turkey welcome joint efforts in Eastern Aleppo allowing for voluntary evacuation of civilians
and organized departure of armed opposition. The Ministers also welcome partial evacuation of civilians
from Fuaa, Kafraia, Zabadani and Madaya. They commit to ensure the completion of the process without interruption and
in a safe and secure manner. The Ministers express their gratitude to the representatives of ICRC and WHO for their
assistance in conduction of the evacuation.
4. The Ministers agree on the importance of expanding ceasefire, unhindered humanitarian assistance and free
movement of civilians throughout the country.
5. Iran, Russia and Turkey express their readiness to facilitate and become the guarantors of the prospective
agreement, being negotiated, between the Syrian Government and the opposition. They invited all other countries with
the influence on the situation on the ground to do the same.
6. They strongly believe that this Agreement will be instrumental to create the necessary momentum for the
resumption of the political process in Syria in accordance with the UNSC resolution 2254.
7. The Ministers take note of the kind offer of the President of Kazakhstan to host relevant meetings in Astana.
8. Iran, Russia and Turkey reiterate their determination to fight jointly against ISIL/DAESH and Al-Nusra and to
separate from them armed opposition groups.